12.16.2008

a day in the life of a self employed mom

5:30 am - husband comes home from a long night of brewing super yucky beer...we prefer german beer, so its all yucky if it isn't...wait i lied...we like bud light lime
5;45 am - i fall back to sleep hoping he hadn't turned up the heater to boil me alive
7:00 am - wake up, wake up child
7:05 am - wake up child again
7:10 am - shake child awake...and she is past the shaken baby syndrome age...thank god
7:11 am - go to porch to freeze my arse off while i smoke a cigarette...oops did i say that...yes i smoke..its taking the bad years off, the diaper years, the drooling years, the "who are you again, i cant believe you are my child years"...at least that is what i tell myself
7:14 am - come back in to the house, partially frozen and smelling not so lovely....sit in front of the computer and check my email, check etsy, check email again...and ponder why i have no sales...hmm i tell myself its the holidays...secretly stressed out
7:30 am ...yell to child from computer....ARE YOU READY , YOUR GONNA MISS THE BUS!!!
7:31 am - child yells back...IM BRUSHING MY HAIR, DOES IT LOOK BOUNCY?, i yell back...LOOKS BOUNCY, lets go
7:40 am - search around for keys, get child ready, make sure child has back pack, insturment (depending if it is tuesday or thursday) wait....what day is it...damn check the calander..okay lets go
7:45 am - back from dropping off sed child to bus stop, disrobe gigantic coat that makes me look like a snowman from a bad eighties movie, head to the bed where i first freeze my husband...which i secretly enjoy...then fall peacfully back to sleep.
11:30 - 12:30 am/pm - depending on the day...i get up, groggy and needing my triple expresso fix...im not joking about this, i drip expresso with a bit of organic sugar, the organic parts makes me feel better about myself...considering i just took off another year of my life with the caffine.
12:40 pm - check etsy, check email, check etsy, check email...check forums, read blogs, tell people i posted on my blog, check views on my shoppe
1:30 pm - print out orders, check etsy, check views...wonder how to get more sales..try to be super quiet to not wake sleeping beauty of a husband (ps sleeping beauty has a mohawk)
1:50 pm - depending on amount of orders.....cut fabric, fold fabric, pack fabric...and repeat
3:00 pm - log onto paypal and fight with the usps shipping tool on paypal...at least im saving 5%
on shipping, am i really saving 5%...spending many minutes figuring out who's husband belongs to which wife's order......hooray for husband's paypal account. what is he buying?
3:40 pm - check etsy, check email, check etsy, check email...check forums, read blogs, tell people i posted on my blog, check views on my shoppe
4:00 pm - sed child comes home from school...convo sounds like this...
me: how was school?
sed child: it was great?
sed child: i'm hungry?
sed child? can i get on the computer
me: im working....even though im reading blogs...that counts doesn't it?
sed child goes to fridge digs around, finds food, turns on tv, asks me a bunch of questions i really dont listen to and give hap hazard answers...as im thinking ssshhhs..im trying to relist here.
4:20 pm - oh s%&t i have to go to the post office....i want everyones stuff to get there super duper pronto style.
4:45 pm - at the supermarket again...what the heck did i need, hmm those fabulous chocolate cookies look fab, and that great cheap bottle of rose wine, yumm ........ oh dinner, whoops forgot about that.
5:00 pm- get home, check etsy, check email, check etsy, check email...check forums, read blogs, tell people i posted on my blog, check views on my shoppe
5:10 pm- check etsy, check email, check etsy, check email...check forums, read blogs, tell people i posted on my blog, check views on my shoppe
6:00 pm- husband leaves for work, im sad

and now its 10:05 pm and im still on the computer, blogging, checking emails, checking etsy

cheers

3 comments:

sesga loves 1950s said...

Hello
I'm a new fan of yours ,I love the way you write your blog .Im also a fan of your etsy shop .I trawled through etsy and found your shoppee with the best deals .I'm sorry!! I'm one of those ladies who uses her partners pay pal.

love from sesga in wales UK

sweetsour said...

I can totally appreciate this. Fellow self-employed Mom right here! Love the blog. Although delete cigarettes (not judging and don't delete the vino!), mohawk, and I'm simpatico honey! :)

penguinsplunder said...

lol that's awesome.